Thursday 26 November 2009

New haberdashery cabinet has arrived.

It's here!!! and it's so cute!! with its little drawers and custom built side console.




It looked so old and fragile with all the little drawers taken out, leaving just a glass shell and wooden skeleton. Then it didn't quite fit into my van, so Mc drove the 6 miles from Glastonbury to Ilchester, because he has far more nerve than me. We were told to bring more help than we thought we would need, but managed with three of us: Mc, me and Yusuf. Plus a helpful shove from a lady who saw it being removed and thought were moving in to the shop we were taking it from (I would always ask if I saw someone removing a haberdashery cabinet just incase they were dumping it!)

Moving an aged glass cabinet is nerve wracking stuff. Once it was in situ I had to rush off to meet the school bus and arrived back to find Mc had moved it into position and put the drawers back in. The rearranging to make space for it to fit through the door and to the back of the shop had taken all week. Next I can work out a new layout. It looks more like a shop now I have a counter.

Some of the drawers went missing during the many years and I have 20 of the 24 left.
The cabinet and console aren't the only items I bought.
I used to admire the copper display poles that the Hardware shop in Glastonbuy had in their window and now I have one of them in my shop. Millers the hardware shop closed in the last few years and the premises is now called Hunab Ku. I've supplied Hunab Ku with my glittery badges.
This copper piller is very very heavy, and the glass sheets stay in place as if by magic. It will be very usefull in the odd shaped window area at the front of the shop. I wonder where the other pillers have ended up.

2 comments:

The fabric of my life said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

Vintage to Victorian said...

You wouldn't think there could be 2 haberdashery counters travelling along practically the same route, would you! Niki has just bought one from me which has gone to her new shop in Shepton Mallet. If you ever hear of one that is only 3 or 4 drawers wide instead of 6 then do let me know. The one I sold was just too big to fit in at Dairy House.

Hope to pop in and see you again soon!

Sue